Preparing For Your First Visit
Ready to make your first return with Return-It Express? Not sure how to get started? Here’s everything you need to know before making your first return:
Creating a Return-It Express account
- Sign up for a Return-It Express account here.
- Anyone can create an account and once registered, you can use the Express system immediately! When signing up you’ll be asked to choose your account type from Personal, Group or Business.
- We’ll ask you some questions and finally, you will need to verify your account phone number. You can verify your account by text message or an automated phone call. Once you’ve selected which option works best for you, simply click on the “Send Code” button and enter the 6-digit code you receive either by phone call or in a text message in the box on screen.
- Finally, click “Verify” to complete your registration and you’re good to go!
Preparing your bag
Fill up and seal your transparent Express bag(s) (maximum 6 bags per visit) with your empty beverage containers that are part of the Return-It system and check to make sure that your bag meets the Express requirements!
- Beverage containers that are part of the Return-It system includes soft drinks, juice, water, wine, coolers, spirits, etc. More information on all these containers can be found here.
- Don’t crush or flatten your beverage containers! The bar code and label information are used by depot staff or counting technology to confirm that the container is part of the deposit-refund system here in BC. Crushed or flattened containers can be difficult to read or scan the labels. If the depot is unable to verify that your containers are part of the system, they may not be able to issue a refund.
- Express bags must be clear/transparent and be 70-75L in capacity. Bags are available for purchase at almost any grocery store, dollar store, drug store, or hardware store. Brands like Glad, Western Family, Life, Safeway, No Name, and HDX all work with the Express system.
- To prevent breakage and for the safety of depot staff, we ask that you put a maximum of 12 glass bottles in each Express bag. Other lighter containers like aluminum cans or juices boxes can be used to fill the bags and cushion the glass. For larger glass bottles, it may be necessary to put in less than 12 bottles to prevent the bag from getting too heavy.
- As a response to COVID restrictions, you can also request mailed labels at no extra charge. To order your labels, sign in to your Express account here and click “Request Bag Labels” under your profile information section on the left-hand side of the page.
Mailed labels are a limited-time offer in response to the COVID19 pandemic. The offer will end on September 7, 2021.
At an Express & GO station
- Find your closest Express & GO station on our map here.
- You don’t always need to go to the same depot, you can bring your returns to any of our Express locations across BC.
- Bring your unsorted clear/transparent Express bags to your closest Express location.
- Using the phone number you used when signing up for an Express account, sign into the label printing kiosk and print Express bag labels for your account.
- While COVID restrictions are in place you can also request mailed labels at no extra charge. To order your labels, sign in to your Express account here and click “Request Bag Labels” under your profile information section on the left hand side of the page.
- Stick your printed bags labels to your Express bags and open the door using your Express & GO pin.
- Express customers have a unique 6 digit Express & GO pin under the “profile” section of your Return-It Express account. Login here to locate your Express & GO pin.
- After leaving your tagged bag(s) at the Express & GO station, your containers are counted by depot staff and a detailed record of your counted containers and refunds will be available on your online account within 10 business days.
- To learn more about your return once you’ve left the depot, visit our “Your Recent Visit and Understanding your Return” section!