THE GOALS AND INITIATIVES IN THE STEWARDSHIP PLAN cont.
2) Consumer Awareness
The high percentage of program awareness indicates that past marketing and advertising initiatives have reached the targeted group. Regular consumer research studies on a province-wide basis assist in developing initiatives designed to encourage specific groups to recycle beverage containers.
Goal: Maintain high public awareness of the Return-It programs and target those who could be encouraged to change their behavior in favor of recycling beverage containers.
- A schedule of reminders is delivered year-round through a variety of media including print, radio, television and interactive.
- Specific programs have been developed to target certain groups. The multi-family building program, the school program, Return-It @ Work, and the public space/event program each employ unique strategies to encourage and enable the targeted group to recycle beverage containers.
2A) Pilot Multi-family Building Program
High-density urban dwellings have space and convenience limitations which make the disposal of containers in the garbage a more appealing option.
Goal: Make it more convenient for residents in multi-family buildings to recycle beverage containers.
- Encorp has entered into an agreement with a service provider to include beverage containers as part of their used goods collection programs. If successful this will be expanded to other service and charitable organizations.
- Co-ordinate collection activities with building owners/managers and waste haulers and provide beverage recycling bins, targeted consumer awareness and deposit refunds.
- Partner, on a pilot test basis, with waste haulers to place new, special bins for refundable containers in multi-family dwellings.